Adopt comprehensive policy packages on energy efficiency
In all sectors the greatest efficiency gains are achieved with a package of policies This includes the following considerations:
- A combination of three main mechanisms should be used: regulation, information and incentives (each elaborated below).
- Public R&D funding, including through industry partnerships, is fundamental to technological innovation in energy efficiency.
- Policies are more effective when they are set in the context of clear strategies and targets and are supported by adequate resources for implementation through capacity building, enforcement and monitoring.
- Recent supply chain pressures highlight the need to take market capacity into consideration, such as the availability of key materials, equipment and skilled workers to carry out efficiency actions.
- It is important to continually assess policies and programmes to keep up to date with technology and market developments. To ensure progress can be tracked, governments can collect appropriate data on energy consumption in different sectors to help with the policy cycle of implementation, monitoring and evaluation.