Ensuring a People-Centred and Just Clean Energy Transition
The IEA’s Global Commission on People-Centred Clean Energy Transitions was convened by the Executive Director of the IEA in early 2021 and brought together energy/climate ministers from a wide range of countries as well as perspectives such as labour, youth and civil society. The Commission worked under the patronage of the Prime Minister of Denmark and was chaired by the Danish energy minister, and co-chaired by the Senegalese energy minister.
This side event, led by Danish Minister for Climate, Energy and Utilities Dan Jørgensen who chaired the Global Commission, will showcase inspiring best practice case studies led by governments and civil society from around the world that have ensured people-centred clean energy transition pathways. It will include a roundtable discussion to help identify priority areas for the IEA’s expanding work in this field.
- Diego Mesa Puyo, Minister of Energy and Mining, Colombia
- Kadri Simson, European Commissioner for Energy
- Claudio Huepe, Minister of Energy, Chile
- Joe Manchin, Senator and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, United States
- Nobuhle Nkabane, Deputy Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy, South Africa
- Frank Des Rosiers, Acting Deputy Minister of Natural Resources, Canada
- Chiagozie Udeh, Global Focal Point, SDG 7 Youth Constituency (virtual)
- Jamshyd N Godrej, Chairperson, Council on Energy, Environment and Water (virtual)
- Anders Hoffmann, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry for Climate, Energy and Utilities, Denmark