Sweden Rural Development Programme 2014-2020

Source: JOIN IEA/IRENA Policy and Measures Database
Last updated: 10 October 2019

The Swedish Government decided on a new Rural Development Programme in June 2014. The programme for 2014–2020 includes investment grants for young entrepreneurs, capacity building, cooperation and innovation, support to areas with natural constraints, animal welfare subsidies, ecological farming, and environmental and climate actions.

Measures specifically contributing to climate change mitigation include those aimed at:

  • increasing energy efficiency;
  • production and use of renewable energy (including biogas production and establishment of perennial energy crops);
  • conversion from fossil to renewable energy sources;
  • improved manure handling; more efficient use of nitrogen;
  • climate and energy advice; measures to prevent the risk of nitrogen leakage;
  • restoration and establishment of wetlands; sustainable perennial grass ley with reduced soil tillage;
  • and other separate projects relating to climate and energy.

The programme budget totals SEK 36 billion, of which 59 percent is financed by Sweden and the remaining 41 percent by the EU.

Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more