Manitoba Geothermal Program
Manitoba Hydro's Geothermal Program provides financial incentives to customers who install a geothermal heat pump system to replace a conventional electric heating system.
Commercial buildings are eligible for the incentive with the following characteristics:
Current primary space heating fuel
Feasibility study assistance eligibility
System installation incentive eligibility
New construction projects may be eligible for feasibility study assistance and a system installation incentive through the New Buildings Program.
Fuel oil and propane
To be determined by feasibility study
Program provides two types of incentives: 1) Feasibility study assistance and 2) System installation incentive. In order to be eligible for either of the supports the written approve must be granted first from the Manitoba Hydro.
1) Feasibility study assistance provides up to 50% of the first $5,000 and up to 25 per cent of the remaining cost of the study (to a maximum grant of $10,000 per study). On average, a feasibility study costs approximately $2,400. The amount of the assistance will be limited to 20 per cent of the potential system installation incentive.
2) System installation incentive is based on a prescriptive structure, and is calculated as being the lesser of:
- $2.50 per sq. ft. heated by a geothermal heat pump system; OR
- $120.00 per MBH of installed geothermal heating capacity; OR
- $120.00 per MBH of the buildings eligible base transmission and infiltration heating load.
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more