The Policy led to the formulation of the energy regulator for Malawi and guides every development in the energy sector within Malawi. It also maps out strategies for increasing access to renewable energy based applications in the country.
Strategic objectives for the energy sector included in the Policy are:
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness in energy supply industries;
- Improving security and reliability of energy supply systems;
- Increasing access to modern energy services;
- Enhancing economic development and rural transformation;
- Improving energy sector goverce; and
- Mitigating environmental, safety and health impacts of energy production and utilization.
Tools for implementation of Policy’s provisions are:
- Creation and implementation of the Renewable Energy Supply Act;
- Promotion of renewable energy sources, in particular, solar technologies;
- Removal of technical and administrative barriers to deployment of renewables;
The Policy also includes projections on country’s energy mix:
Energy Mix Projections 2000 – 2050