National Renewable Action Plan (NREAP)
Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Malta 2020 targets:
- Overall target: 10% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumption;
- Heating and cooling: 6% of heat consumption met by renewable sources;
- Electricity: 14% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 11% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources.
In order to achieve above enlisted targets Malta runs following incentive schemes:
- Feed-in tariff;
- Grants framework for electric vehicles, PV, solar thermal, wind turbines;
- CHP promotion;
- Biofuels support;
- Guidelines for micro wind turbine installations
- Certification framework for solar technologies installers,
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more