National Renewable Action Plan (NREAP)
Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Ireland 2020 targets:
- Overall target: 16% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumption;
- Heating and cooling: 12% of heat consumption met by renewable sources;
- Electricity: 42.5% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 10% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources.
In order to achieve above enlisted targets Ireland runs following incentive schemes:
- Renewable Energy Feed-in tariff;
- Biofuel obligations;
- Greener homes scheme;
- Bioenergy scheme for the production of non-food crops;
- Number of grants and fiscal incentives;
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more