Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Bulgaria 2020 renewable energy targets:
- Overall target: 16% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumptions;
- Heating and Cooling: 24% of heat consumption met by renewable energy sources;
- Electricity: 21% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 8% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources;
Measures to promote the use of energy from renewable energy source that will facilitate achievement of above enlisted targets:
- Feed-in tariff system
- Obligatory connection of RES plant to the network;
- Long-term power purchase agreements (25 years for electricity purchased from geothermal and solar plants, 15 years from hydropower plants up to 10MW and from any other type of renewable plant);
- Obligatory purchase of the electricity from renewable energy producers;
- Guarantees of origin;
- Compulsory blending of biofuels;
- Zero rate of excise duty for pure biofuels;
- Short and long-term programmes aiming at development of renewables.