In June 2007 the Energy Regulator commissioned a study on the Renewable Energy Feed–In Tariffs (REFITs) to support renewable energies in South Africa. The subsequent REFIT Guidelines were approved on 26 March 2009, to support progress to a goal of 10,000GWh from renewables by 2013.
The following technologies were initially eligible for a feed in tariff of 0.9-2.1R/kWh:
- i. Landfill gas power plant;
- ii. Small hydro power plant (less than 10MW);
- iii. Wind power plant;
- iv. Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) plant.
- *is responsible for overall monitoring and review, gathering data on the energy purchased under REFIT by technology band, and for the total cost.
- *shall liaise with REPA and the National Control Centre to monitor dispatch issues arising from the connection and generation of power under REFIT.
- *Publish a summary report of progress by June every year.