National Electricity Conservation Programme - PROCEL
The National Electricity Conservation Programme (PROCEL) was created in 1985 by Inter-Ministerial Ordinance No. 1877 to promote the efficient use of electricity and reduce its waste. The programme is overseen by the Ministry of Mines and Energy and implemented by the electric utility company Eletrobras. PROCEL is funded through a requirement on electric distribution companies to apply 1% of annual net operating revenues to promoting end-use energy efficiency. 20% of this amount is dedicated to supporting Procel, while the remaining 80% is applied to the Programme for Energy Efficiency (PEE) – Brazil’s energy efficiency obligation scheme. PROCEL helps fund conservation projects involving research and development, demonstrations, educational and training programmes, marketing strategies, direct installation and upgrading inefficient equipment, and demand side management in the electricity sector. It is comprised of several sub-programmes targeting: buildings, sanitation, public lighting, municipal energy management, education, and industry, as well as energy performance labelling for appliances.
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more