The Norwegian Government is introducing a control mechanism including statutory responsibilities for hydropower producers to ensure the security of electricity supply. The mechanism will be finalised before the 2023/2024 winter season. It consists of the following measures:
- A statutory responsibility for hydropower producers to ensure security of supply.
- Formalisation of the existing reporting system for hydropower producers.
- A requirement for hydropower producers to establish strategies for security of supply, and establishing inspection and enforcement powers for the energy authorities, including the power to impose penalties.
- Authorising the energy authorities to intervene in hydropower reservoir management in energy shortage risk situations.
- Clarification that during the risk of energy shortages, interconnector capacity may be curtailed.