The "Roadmap for Ethanol Blending in India 2020-25" lays out an annual plan to increase domestic ethanol production in line with target of the amended National Policy on Biofuels (2018) as well as with its Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme to reach a blending of 20% of ethanol in petrol (E20) by 2025/26.
The roadmap proposes the following milestones:
- Raise pan-India ethanol production capacity from the current 700 to 1500 crore litres.
- Phased rollout of E10 fuel by April 2022.
- Phased rollout of E20 from April 2023, its availability by April 2025.
- Rollout of E20 material-compliant and E10 engine-tuned vehicles from April 2023.
- Production of E20-tuned engine vehicles from April 2025.
- Encourage use of water-sparing crops, such as maize, to produce ethanol.
- Promote technology for the production of ethanol from non-food feedstock.
In June 2022, India achieved an average blending rate of 10% ethanol in petrol.