Coalbed Methane Outreach Program
The Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP) is a voluntary partnership between the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US coal mining industry aiming to encourage coal mine methane recovery and use.
The CMOP maintains an Abandoned Coal Mines Opportunities Database based on industry surveys, emissions data collected by the Bureau of Mines (BOM), and internal Abandoned Mine Methane (AMM) emissions estimation modelling. The Database identifies top candidate mines for methane recovery and utilisation project potential.
The CMOP also conducts international outreach on CMM through the following initiatives:
- Establishment of CBM information clearinghouses
- Policy analysis to promote CMM recovery
- Feasibility studies and limited technology demonstration
- Technical and institutional framework support
- Identification of project opportunities and finance options.
Successful international projects identified and supported by the CMOP include an in-mine methane drainage program in Ukraine funded by the US Department of Labour and a US $200 million commitment by the Asian Development Bank to Chinese CMM projects.
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more