National Methane Action Plan
In 2021, the Chinese government announced its intention to develop a National Methane Action Plan under the leadership of the Ministry of Ecology and Environment. This announcement follows the US-China Joint Declaration on Enhancing Climate Action at COP26, which included an increased emphasis on methane monitoring and abatement as a key strategy to reduce GHG emissions.
The proposed Plan will seek to monitor and control methane emissions through the following actions:
1) Carry out research on methane emission control;
2) Establish a policy, technology and standard system for methane emission reduction in the fields of coal, oil and gas, waste treatment, etc.;
3) Strengthen the monitoring, accounting, reporting and verification systems for methane emissions in key areas;
4) Encourage voluntary methane emission reduction actions in key areas and promote the development of technologies, equipment and industries related to methane utilisation; and
5) Strengthen international cooperation on methane control policies.
The plan is expected to be released in 2023.
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more