The decree states that project developers, including those responsible for oil and gas undertakings, must submit environmental impact assessments (EIA) before the start of activities. An EIA must include the following assessments:
· Expected impacts on residential agglomerations;
· Expected impacts on the ecosystem surrounding the project;
· Potential degradation to the environmental characteristic of the region;
· Threats to the environmental balance, fauna and flora;
· Future cumulative effects resulting from proposed activities;
The EIA must also propose measures to protect the environment, an assessment of their efficiency to limit environmental damage, and guarantees that the project will comply with the pursuit of continuous environmental improvement.