The State Council announced the New Energy Vehicle Industry Development Plan (2021-2035) in 2020. It establishes a policy framework to promote high-quality development of the new energy vehicle industry from 2021 to 2035.
The Plan lays out five strategic tasks:
- Improve technological innovation capacity;
- Build a new industrial ecosystem;
- Promote integrated industrial development;
- Improve the infrastructure system;
- Deepen opening-up and cooperation.
The Plan sets out following measures to establish efficient power battery recycling system:
- Implement extended producer responsibility scheme for vehicle batteries;
- Strengthen the new energy vehicle power battery traceability management platform;
- Support the innovative application of power battery cascade products;
- Strengthen the research and development of residual energy detection, residual value assessment, safety management and other technologies;
- Promote the efficient extraction of valuable elements of end-of-life power batteries.
It also supports the development of the value chain of power batteries. It encourages enterprises to improve the capacity of lithium, nickel, cobalt, platinum, and other key resources.